Submitting Items for the St. Joseph Catholic Parish Website and Bulletin
Thank you for your interest in our parish website and bulletin. Your contribution is key to our shared success. Please pick up a hard copy of our bulletin to familiarize yourself with our work.
Deadline: Our weekend bulletin transmits to the publisher at noon Tuesdays; upload deadlines are typically two days earlier around holidays. The website is flexible.
Publication priorities: Actual publication is at our discretion. We give priority to timely, local parish news, submissions 10 days in advance, and submissions including photos, logos or related graphics. Our mission is to tell parishioners the ongoing story of our parish and its wonderful people living the Faith. This is a great way to grow your ministry and be a part of our shared history. Other parish, community and regional items may run on a space-available basis. Brief is best or if writing is not your gift, just list CALL TO ACTION, WHO, WHAT, WHY, WHERE, WHEN, HOW, plus phone, email, website URL.
Accepted, preferred submissions
Accepted: Plain digital text and photos or graphics, 300 ppi or better, attached in an email. Also welcome, video links and embed code for the website. Preferred: A link to your website’s media resources page containing relevant textual content, multiple high-resolution color logo, color photo, video options with embed code, contact information.
Page 5: We occasionally run full- or expanded-page layouts using Page 5 of our bulletin. This replaces the former “inserts” used for important topics in our bulletin. All Page 5 bulletin layouts must be requested well in advance, and receive prior approval from the Pastor. Layouts must leave at least a 3/8-inch margin on the left, right, and top of the page, with at least a 0.5-inch margin on the bottom. Please email proposed Page 5 layouts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos: The St. Joseph Catholic Church website and parish bulletin, now six pages and full color throughout, especially love color photos of groups of people actively engaged in parish/school life and parish/school events open to the public. Be sure your smartphone or camera is set for emailed photos to be 300 pixels per inch or better. Photo credit given if included with the submission. Please include a suggested caption and names. If you prefer, you may also just list CALL TO ACTION, WHO, WHAT, WHY, WHERE, WHEN, HOW, plus phone, email, website URL. Include both vertical and horizontal shots, if possible. We also love shots showcasing our beautiful church, inside and out, as well as landscape features. If you dislike emailing photos, or have many photos, you can also create your own Dropbox (or equivalent) account and invite Karin Livingston, email@example.com, to have access to your submissions. Close-up photos, photos private in nature, and photos not covered by releases in our group signups require written permission of persons shown in the photo.
Submissions that are often rejected
- Last-minute submissions
- .pdf files – they require extra time to convert to MS Word or images
- MS Word attachments from an unknown email address – this combination often carries a computer virus
- Paper submissions – requires us to scan and/or manually input your information
- Submissions from an unknown or private email address or an email address not carrying your organization’s website domain extension
- Long, rambling text, bad writing – requires us to correct, dissect and rewrite the CALL TO ACTION, WHO, WHAT, WHY, WHERE, WHEN and HOW.
- Long URLs – requires us to go to TinyURL.com to create a short URL
- Submissions lacking a telephone contact, email address, website URL
- Items lacking the CALL TO ACTION, WHO, WHAT, WHY, WHERE, WHEN, HOW
- Material lacking clear pastoral or Archdiocesan relevance